A postage stamp will be issued for the anniversary of the Riigikogu building

The postage stamp ‘Riigikogu building 100’ will be issued on 12 September for the hundredth anniversary of the completion of the historic building of the Riigikogu.

‘The Riigikogu building has a very dignified history and is architecturally outstanding. Very important, even ground-breaking decisions in the history of Estonia have been made in this building over the course of a hundred years. This building is a symbol of our history and is therefore entirely worthy of being depicted on a postage stamp,’ added Mart Mägi, Chairman of the Management Board of Omniva.
The postage stamp was designed by Jaan Saar and printed in the printing house Vaba Maa. The edition size of the stamps is 20,000 and the nominal price of a stamp is 90 cents, which means that it can be used for sending letters within Estonia. The postage stamp and the first-day cover will be sold in the e-shop of Omniva and in post offices all over Estonia. The first day stamp will be used at the Toompea post office at 4 Lossi plats, Tallinn.
The postage stamp will be presented on Monday, 12 September at 1 p.m. by President of the Riigikogu Jüri Ratas, Chairman of the Management Board of Omniva Mart Mägi, and President of the Union of Estonian Architects Andro[LI1]  Mänd in the White Hall of Toompea Castle. The designer of the postage stamp, artist Jaan Saar, will also be present. The event is by invitation only. It is also possible to buy the new postage stamp at the event.
The Riigikogu building was completed by 12 September 1922 in accordance with the project of architects Eugen Habermann and Herbert Johanson. A modern avant-garde style – expressionism – was chosen to emphasise the uniqueness of the building. To this day, the Riigikogu building is the only expressionist-style parliamentary building in the world. The most prominent room in the building is the two-story Session Hall with its blue walls and curved ceiling, accented by rust-coloured zig-zag patterns on windows and doorways. All the furniture was made based on the designs of the architects at the Luther factory in Tallinn, and it had to match the architecture of the building. The ceiling of the vestibule and the Session Hall was made of reinforced concrete, which was not yet widely used in construction at that time. In 1922, it was the first public building in Tallinn where the architects had electric lighting included in the design. After the restoration of the independence of Estonia, the Riigikogu building has been thoroughly renovated to restore the original colour and lighting solution.

 [LI1]Kliendile: algtekstis kirjaviga – õige nimekuju on Andro Mänd.


News list

Pallasti 28, 10001 Tallinn, e-mail: [email protected] Customer information: 661 6616